Black Rock Construction is here for you!
What do you do after a major storm has hit your area with significant damage? What if you have suffered major roof and water damage? Here are a few pointers that the experts say to do first after a tornado or major storm hits your house or your area.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO AFTER A TORNADO STRIKES
Help injured or trapped persons
- Give first aid when appropriate. Don’t try to move the seriously injured unless they are in immediate danger of further injury. Call for help.
- Turn on radio or television to get the latest emergency information.
- Stay out of damaged buildings. Return home only when authorities say it is safe.
- Use the telephone only for emergency calls.
- Clean up spilled medicines, bleaches, or gasoline or other flammable liquids immediately. Leave the buildings if you smell gas or chemical fumes.
- Take pictures of the damage–both to the house and its contents– for insurance purposes.
Remember to help your neighbors who may require special assistance– infants, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
INSPECTING UTILITIES IN A DAMAGED HOME
- Check for gas leaks–If you smell gas or hear a blowing or hissing noise, open a window and quickly leave the building. Turn off the gas at the outside main valve if you can and call the gas company from a neighbor’s home. If you turn off the gas for any reason, it must be turned back on by a professional.
- Look for electrical system damage–If you see sparks or broken or frayed wires, or if you smell hot insulation, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker. If you have to step in water to get to the fuse box or circuit breaker, call an electrician first for advice.
- Check for sewage and water lines damage–If you suspect sewage lines are damaged, avoid using toilets and call a plumber. If water pipes are damaged, contact the water company and avoid using water from the tap. You can obtain safe water by melting ice cubes.
As you have read above, first, call 9-1-1 for any immediate help or first aid. Second, for live electrical wires or problems, call your electrical utility provider such as Georgia Power, Snapping Shoals EMC, Central Georgia EMC, Walton EMC, City of Covington Electric, or whatever company that provides the electricity to your home or subdivision. Third, call Black Rock Construction at 1-770-285-7663 and we will immediately dispatch a team of experts to mitigate your storm damage.
If you live in the metro Atlanta, Georgia or San Antonio, Texas, please call Black Rock Construction at 770-285-7663 and we can help advise you on how to handle your storm damage. We specialize in storm mitigation, roof damage, emergency tree removal, and much more. You can see more at our website at www.TeamBRUSA.com. If you need immediate roofing repair, call our emergency hotline at 1-770-285-ROOF and a seasoned roofing veteran will speak to you immediately.